The use of our Services (being the KAIZER CHIEFS website or any third-party platforms through which our Services are provided or are accessible) involves the processing of your Personal Information and Service Use Data, so it’s very important that you understand how this occurs and how you can control it.
- What Personal Information and Service Use Data we collect from you and how we collect it;
- How we use and disclose your Personal Information and Service Use Data; and
- How to access and update your Personal Information.
The Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPI”) sets out the law on the use and processing of personal information.
KAIZER CHIEFS is committed to the protection of your personal information in accordance with POPI and any other legislation that may be applicable.
What is “personal information”?
“Personal information” is defined in Section 1 of POPI as follows:
““personal information” means information relating to an identifiable living person/existing juristic person and includes all information about that person, including their characteristics and identifying information and correspondence that are implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature including, but not limited to:
(a) information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person.”
Why is personal information collected?
Personal information is collected essentially to enable KAIZER CHIEFS to conduct and administer its business roles and functions. This includes the provision of its regular services and the marketing and implementation thereof.
On what basis does KAIZER CHIEFS collect, process and use personal information?
Performance of contracts:
KAIZER CHIEFS will process your personal information where this is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract. For example, KAIZER CHIEFS will need to process your personal information in order to comply with the terms and conditions relating to a competition you may have entered on the KAIZER CHIEFS website or in order to process a purchase and delivery of KAIZER CHIEFS’ merchandise on our digistore.
Compliance with our legal obligations:
In some cases, KAIZER CHIEFS may need to process your personal information in order to comply with its legal obligations and legal compliance.
In other cases, KAIZER CHIEFS has a ‘legitimate interest’ in processing personal information about individuals with whom KAIZER CHIEFS interacts. KAIZER CHIEFS has many such interests, including commercial interests and those with a wider public benefit. In essence, KAIZER CHIEFS’ principal legitimate interest is in promoting the KAIZER CHIEFS’ teams and administering KAIZER CHIEFS in a way that promotes and safeguards the integrity of the sport. For example, KAIZER CHIEFS needs to process personal information in pursuit of KAIZER CHIEFS legitimate interests in order to:
- market the KAIZER CHIEFS’ teams and brand;
- ensure the security of KAIZER CHIEFS events and venues;
- operate a customer services team, conduct surveys and seek advice from advisers with the aim of improving KAIZER CHIEFS;
- offer its commercial and other services to you;
- keep appropriate records of employees, contractors, service providers, suppliers and other stakeholders;
- structure KAIZER CHIEFS offices in Johannesburg, storing most personal information centrally and making use of certain software and/or cloud storage providers for the purposes of efficient, fast and secure access to personal information; and
- research and statistical analysis.
Where KAIZER CHIEFS relies on legitimate interest as the legal basis for processing personal information, it has considered whether or not those interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights or freedoms of the individuals whose personal information is being processed and has concluded that the processing is, on balance, fair.
KAIZER CHIEFS may also process your personal information on the basis of the express consent that you give when providing your personal information.
Processing special categories of data:
Where KAIZER CHIEFS processes sensitive personal information, other legal bases for processing may apply, including where our processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims (for example, to protect and/or defend our property or rights, or those of other stakeholders), for reasons of substantial public interest (for example, to conduct research about fans), for provision of medical care and treatment, for the purposes of equal opportunities monitoring or where you have otherwise given us your explicit consent (for example, to allow the use of your personal information by a sponsor for marketing purposes).
What personal information will KAIZER CHIEFS collect?
The type of personal information that KAIZER CHIEFS may collect from you will depend on the primary purpose for which such information is required and collected.
What personal information is collected by KAIZER CHIEFS may vary depending on your interaction with KAIZER CHIEFS as a user of our website or in some other way. For example, in order to enter a competition, KAIZER CHIEFS may require only basic biographical and contact details – name, identity number, date of birth and contact details.
Generally, the following personal information may be required, depending on your interaction with KAIZER CHIEFS, some of which will not be mandatory ie you may choose not to provide such information:
- full name;
- date of birth;
- identity number and a copy of your identity book / card;
- copy of your birth certificate;
- contact details – landline and mobile number, residential address, postal address, email address, social media details;
- details of your cultural background (eg language spoken).
Under POPI the following information is specified as “special personal information” and need only be disclosed under certain circumstances:
- religious or political beliefs;
- race or ethnic origin;
- trade union membership;
- political opinions;
- health, sexual life;
- criminal behaviour.
How does KAIZER CHIEFS collect personal information?
Personal information will in most instances be collected directly from you.
You may decide to provide your personal information to KAIZER CHIEFS for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- want to receive our newsletter;
- want to become a registered supporter of KAIZER CHIEFS;
- want to attend KAIZER CHIEFS event or activity;
- want to purchase an item of merchandise form our digistore;
- purchase a match entrance ticket;
- attend a KAIZER CHIEFS event and chose to provide your personal information at the event;
- apply for an employment position at KAIZER CHIEFS;
- enter a competition or promotion conducted by KAIZER CHIEFS or one of its sponsors.
Your personal information may be collected by KAIZER CHIEFS in a number of ways and through a variety of mediums:
- when you consent to your personal information being entered into the KAIZER CHIEFS database when you register to receive a KAIZER CHIEFS newsletter or other information;
- when you consent to your personal information being entered into the KAIZER CHIEFS database when you purchase an item of merchandise form our digistore or other licensed vendor;
- apply to be a KAIZER CHIEFS supporter;
- when you provide your personal information to KAIZER CHIEFS in an application or consent, survey, research or feedback form (written or electronic);
- when you email or telephone KAIZER CHIEFS;
- when you engage with KAIZER CHIEFS on social media;
- when you enter a competition conducted by KAIZER CHIEFS, one of its sponsors, agents or licensees;
- when you purchase an entrance ticket to a KAIZER CHIEFS’ match.
Collection of a Child’s personal information
The primary source of a Child’s personal information for the purposes of KAIZER CHIEFS will be from a parent or guardian. In some instances personal information may have to be obtained from a responsible person associated with the Child or from the Child directly.
Use and disclosure of personal information
KAIZER CHIEFS will only use your personal information for the primary purpose for which you volunteered such information, for secondary purposes related to the primary purpose and as otherwise permitted by personal information protection and privacy laws.
The primary and secondary ways in which KAIZER CHIEFS may use your personal information may include:
- to collect or verify your identity and personal information on its records;
- to provide you with information about KAIZER CHIEFS, its activities and/or its sponsors (where you have provided your consent to receive such information);
- to assist KAIZER CHIEFS in the fulfilment of its objectives and purpose;
- to share relevant player information with the Premier Soccer League or other relevant sporting bodies;
- to organize medical treatment for you;
- to manage your relationship with KAIZER CHIEFS;
- to disclose to KAIZER CHIEFS’s professional advisors;
- to assist law enforcement or regulatory bodies;
- to receive direct marketing communications, where you have consented to receive such communications, in relation to products, services, events, merchandise and other offers made available by KAIZER CHIEFS, its agents, suppliers, sponsors, licensees, broadcasters and the like;
How we use your personal information depends on how you interact with us.
Your personal information may be disclosed to KAIZER CHIEFS third party suppliers, service providers and administrators who assist KAIZER CHIEFS in the provision and administration of services to IT (such as IT services). These third-party suppliers, service providers and administrators will be contractually obligated to protect your personal information, apart from legislation applicable to them.
KAIZER CHIEFS will not otherwise disclose or use your personal information without your express consent unless the disclosure is in accordance with this Policy, any agreement with you or required or authorized by law.
Security of personal information
The security of your personal information is of paramount importance to KAIZER CHIEFS.
Your personal information is secured by KAIZER CHIEFS as follows:
- We follow industry standards on information security management to safeguard sensitive information, such as your personal information, and any other information entrusted to us. Our information security systems apply to people, processes and information technology systems on a risk management basis.
- We perform regular external security penetration tests throughout the year. The tests involve high-level server penetration tests, in-depth testing for vulnerabilities, and social engineering drills.
- All personal information is sent and retrieved over encrypted channels with TLS.
How long will we store your personal information?
KAIZER CHIEFS may retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes set out in this privacy notice and/or to satisfy KAIZER CHIEFS’s reasonable business requirements. On expiry of the relevant retention period, your personal information will be deleted, suppressed or anonymised, as applicable, save that we will retain comprehensive details for archiving purposes in the public interest, or for historical or statistical purposes.
Your rights in relation to your personal information and access to your personal information
Under Section 23 of POPI you have the right to request:
- KAIZER CHIEFS to confirm whether or not KAIZER CHIEFS holds personal information about you; and
- KAIZER CHIEFS to provide a record or description of the personal information it holds about you and which third parties have had access to such information.
Under Section 24(1) of POPI you may request KAIZER CHIEFS:
- to correct or delete your personal information in its possession or under its control that is inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, out of date, incomplete, misleading or obtained unlawfully;
- to destroy or delete a record of personal information that KAIZER CHIEFS is no longer authorised to retain in terms of section 14 of POPI.
Should you have any enquiries or requirements regarding your personal information with KAIZER CHIEFS may have please email your query or requirement to info@Kaizerchiefs.com.