Chiefs fight back to dismantle Arrows

2 June 2021


Kaizer Chiefs                (1) 3 (Manyama 31’,73’, 79’)

Golden Arrows            (1) 2 (Gumede 21’, Mathoho o.g. 62’)


Kaizer Chiefs showed great spirit, determination and teamwork as they disarmed highfliers Golden Arrows in a trilling DStv Premiership encounter at FNB Stadium on Wednesday evening. Arrows took the lead in the 21st minute through Michael Gumede. Lebogang Manyama brought Chiefs level in the 31st minute but Arrows went ahead again in the 62nd minute when defender Mulomowandau Mathoho scored an unfortunate own goal. Manyama though was not finished and scored in the 73rd and 79th minutes to ensure Chiefs would take the win.

Eleven minutes into the game Bruce Bvuma managed to crouch his body and blocked a shot from Knox Mutizwa who had done well to spring the Chiefs offside trap and shot from close range, but the Chiefs keeper was able to dive to his right and block Mutziwa’s drive at goal.

Shortly thereafter, Chiefs created two quick chances. First in the 13th minute when Kearyn Baccus went close with a header after connecting with Parker’s lay up from the left which went agonisingly close to goal.  A minute later, Samir Nurkovic sent an effort from an acute angle beyond Sifiso Mlungwana, but it went across goal and away from the danger.

There was no relenting in the action as the momentum was shifting quickly. Bvuma was alert to make a one handed save in the 16th minute as he stopped a header from Nkosinathi Sibisi, who had made contact with a cross from the right after Arrows had played a corner short.

Arrows would take the lead in the 21st when Michael Gumede managed to get close to goal.  From close range he drove the ball goal wards. His initial attempt was blocked by a combination of Bvuma and Mathoho. The ball popped up again after it hit Mathoho and Gumede headed it home from close range, despite Mathoho’s best efforts to stop the ball on the line.

Chiefs pushed to get back into the game and came close to doing so when Parker sent in a corner from the right. Mlungwana came out to pluck the ball out of the air but he failed to do so. The ball then fell on to the back of Mathoho. The ball continued to bobble around before Willard Katsande attempted to flick the ball home, it took some inspirational defending from Divine Lunga who was standing on the line and cleared the danger.


Ten minutes after falling behind Chiefs managed to get level. A wonderful run by Katsande saw him race down the right cutting through Sibisi and Lunga. As  he entered the Arrows 18 yard area, with neither defender able to stop him, he then cut the ball across goal to his left where he picked out Manyama, who drove the ball into the roof of the net, past a desperate Mlungwana who could not stop Chiefs finding the back of the net.

As the half came to an end Bernard Parker floated a free kick deep into the Arrows penalty box. The ball hit Nurković, flew up and was knocked across goal by Mathoho, who found Daniel Cardoso. From a few yards out, Cardoso unfortunately sent the ball high over Mlungwana’s goal. In first half stoppage time, Gumede headed over from close range after meeting a cross from the left. A few seconds later Gumede sent a cross in from the right. It took a deflection off Daniel Cardoso and fell at the opposite end to Mutizwa who with the goal at his mercy missed the target, sending his effort high and wide.

The first half ended 1-1

Three minutes into the second half Castro swept in a cross from the right which saw Nurković leave Thabani Zuke in his wake as he managed to read the flight of the ball and met it with his head and narrowly missed the target. Just past the hour mark, Chiefs fell behind. A long searching free kick from a central position by Mutizwa was headed past Bvuma by Mathoho, who had attempted to flick the ball backwards to his own keeper.

Chiefs did not give up and levelled matters in the 73rd minute. Substitute Nkosingiphile Ngcobo picked up the ball on the halfway line and glided past the challenge of three Arrows players before laying off the ball to Manyama, who managed to fend off the attention of Mthokozisi Dube and lifted the ball past Mlungwana to complete his brace and score his 7th league goal of the current league campaign for Chiefs.

Chiefs then turned the game on its head. It began with Nurković chesting the ball into the path of Castro on the left wing, the Colombian managed to carry the ball up field where he picked out Ngcobo with a pass along the ground to his right. He in turn saw Manyama free to his right and got the ball to him. Manyama wasted no time from a tight angle smashing the ball past Mlungwana to make it 3-2.

Deep into referee’s stoppage time at the end of the second half, Bvuma dived at full length sticking a hand out to push away a wicked curling shot from Mutizwa. Chiefs held out for an important victory which keeps alive their chances of a top eight finish.


Fact of the game:

This was the 40th league meeting between the two sides it was Chiefs 21st victory, Chiefs are undefeated in their last five league games against Arrows (W3 D2). Amakhosi are also undefeated in their last eight home league games against Arrows.


Number of the Game 8:

Lebogang Manyama has scored 8 league goals this season – the most he has scored in a single campaign for Amakhosi since joining the club in 2018-19. The second most number of goals he has scored in a league campaign since scoring 13 for Cape Town City in the 2016-17 season. This was also Manyama’s first hattrick in the DStv Premiership since first making his debut for Ajax Cape Town in August 2010.


Most Valuable Player (MVP):

There were a host of Chiefs star performers on the day with Nurković, Castro and Bvuma playing a key role to ensure Chiefs fighting back after falling behind twice. Ngcobo was a master stroke introduction. He contributed with two assists, which showed his impact in the game but overall Manyama was the star man scoring a hattrick with some cool and collected finishing.



Chiefs:  Bvuma;  Frosler,  Zulu, Cardoso, Mathoho; Katsande (Blom 83’), Baccus (Ngcobo 59’), Parker ©, Manyama (Mashiane 86’), Castro, Nurković

Subs not used:  Akpeyi; Mphahlele, Agay, Sasman, Radebe, Kambole

Arrows:  Mlungwana; Zuke, Lunga,  Sibisi, M.Dube, Ndwandwe (Shitolo 73’), Parusnath (Phiri 73’), Makhubela, Mmodi (Mtshali 63’), Gumede, Mutizwa

Subs not used: Mbaeva; Mathiane, L. Dube, Ndlovu


What’s Next:

Chiefs are next in action in their final league game of the campaign against TS Galaxy on Saturday at Mbombela Stadium. It is a crucial game with Chiefs in ninth place knowing that victory against eighth placed Galaxy will see them finish inside the top 8 and qualifying for next season’s MTN 8 competition.