Kaizer Chiefs said on Monday that they are not pulling out of the Caf Cup Winners’ Cup – also known as Mandela Cup – and that preparations are underway as they gear up for a clash against Ismailia of Egypt on September 9.
The Naturena-based Amakhosi sorted out their registration problems and confirmed on Monday that they would be flying the South African flag in this inter-club continental competition.
The Soweto giants had earlier threatened to pull out blaming SA Football Association (Safa) for not supplying them with relevant information regarding deadlines for registration of new players.
Chiefs claimed they only had 14 registered players then and said they could not continue if not allowed to register four more players. The majority of the players who were registered for this competition left the club in a pre-season cleanup.
The Amakhosi were allowed to register four more players after the misunderstanding with Safa was cleared up.
Sensational Stanton Fredericks, signed from Wits FC, had a great start with his new club helping Amakhosi to Vodacom Challenge victory and playing a vital part in the 1-0 win against his former club in the opening league match.
Utility player Nhlanhla Kubeka has also been registered. The player was initially left out of the African safari due to injury but after making a great comeback towards the end of the season, a place was guaranteed for him in the Caf campaign.
Defender Gary Goldstone and new signing Rene Cliff Richard complete the list.
Amakhosi face off against the Pharaohs in the first leg of the quarterfinals to be played at Ellis Park in the first week of spring and the second leg will be in Cairo in a fortnight.
Sad news for Amakhosi is that their new goal-scoring king Jossias Macamo will not be participating in the Mandela Cup after playing for his former club Costa do Sol in the Champions League.
The unavailability of Macamo could be a major setback following his successful start with Amakhosi. But this will open up opportunities for other players.