Chiefs lose in Champions League

Wydad Casablanca     (2) 4 (Mohammed 7’, El Kaabi 44 , Msuva 87’, Jabarane 90+3’)

Kaizer Chiefs              (0)


Kaizer Chiefs fell to a 4-0 loss against Wydad Casablanca in their second Group C game of the CAF Champions leg on Sunday afternoon at the 4 August Stadium in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The game which was originally meant to have been played on 13 February in Casablanca, Morocco.

Wydad scored two headed goals in the first half of the game with Ounnajem Mohammed heading them in front in the 7th minute. They doubled their lead with another headed goal in the final minute of the first when Ayoub El Kaabi nudged the ball home from close range. Simon Happygod Msuva scored a third in the final three minutes and Yahya Jabrane converted a late penalty to seal the points for Wydad.

Wydad were in front in the 7th minute. Mujaid Ellafi inside the left flank of the Chiefs 18-yard area brought a quickly taken free kick by Jabrane under control with his left leg before chipping it over the Chiefs backline towards the far post. The ball evaded Amakhosi’s defence and travelled over to the back post where Mohammed came running into stab the ball home to make the score 1-0 in favour of Wydad.

Conceding early did not seem to put a damper on Chiefs’ spirits as they pushed to get back into the game, while Wydad switched tactic hoping to get the better of Amakhosi on the counterattack. Chiefs though were being creative and after Wydad keeper Ahmed Tagnaouti came off his line to clear a loose ball, it fell to Nurković who attempted to lob the ball over the keeper but could not get his strike on target. This action took place in the 28th minute of the match.

Chiefs kept up the dominance in the middle periods in of the first half, and in the 34th minute, a neat series of passes between Chiefs players saw Nurković thread the ball through the Wydad defence for Leonardo Castro but the ball took an awkward bounce and went out for a goal kick. Castro tried in vain to reach the ball which harmlessly rolled out.

A minute on, Khune came to the rescue for Chiefs, making a goal line save at close range as a ball in from the left evaded the Wydad’s Yahya Idrissi and bounced awkwardly but the Chiefs keeper was alert to the danger and pushed it away.

In the 39th minute, Chiefs had the Wydad goal under siege with goalkeeper Tagnaouti and his defence making a series of mistakes. As a result of miscommunication, the keeper was unable to hold onto a number of crosses. Eventually, Wydad cleared their lines and set up a counterattack which looked threatening until Khune raced out of his 18- yard area and cleared the ball away.

In the final minute of the first half, Wydad doubled their lead when a long looping cross from the right wing flew to the far post where El Kaabi managed to read the flight of the ball, and lunged at it heading it home to ensure the Moroccan’s went into the break 2-0 up.

Chiefs created a good chance in the 59th minute when Lebogang Manyama sent the ball goal-wards, Kearyn Baccus was able to meet the ball with his head flicking it towards goal and it took a leaping dive by Tagnaouti to turn the ball out for a goal kick. Preventing Chiefs from getting a way back into the game. A minute later, Baccus tested the Wydad keeper at goal sending a volleyed effort at him but Tagnaouti managed to get down and made a save.

In the 82nd minute, El Kaabi managed to evade a tackle from Siyabonga Ngezana before teeing up Msuva who hit the ball on the volley. Khune crouched down leaped off the ground and turn the ball round his post for a corner. Five minutes later the Tanzanian did manage to score a long ball from the back found him inside the right channel of the Chiefs 18-yard area. Khune came off his line to thwart him but Msuva lifted the ball over him to make it 3-0.

Inside referee’s added time at the end of the game, Chiefs skipper Ramahlwe Mphahlele was sent off rather harshly for handball in the six-yard area his second bookable offence, from the penalty Jabrane sent Khune the wrong way and made it 4-0. Chiefs fell to a loss in the second game of the group stages and will look to turn things around in their next game in the competition on the 6 March at home against Petro de Luanda.



Chiefs:  Khune; Ngezana, Mphahlele ©, Agay, Frosler; Katsande (Ngcobo 65’), Blom, Baccus (Kambole 75’), Manyama (Zulu 65’); Castro, Nurković

Subs not used:  Akpeyi, Matsheke, Cardoso, Parker

Wydad XI: Tagnaouti; Dari (Cheick 77’), Saidi © (Happygod Msuva 67’), Jabrane, El Kaabi; El Idrissi (Rahim 86’), El Karti , El Ami Oud, Ellafi (El Moutaraji , Aboulfati, Mohammed (El Hassouni 67’)

Subs not used: Henin; El Moudane, Rahim