Chiefs win in Mother City

16 January 2021


Cape Town City           (0) 1 (Lakay 83’)

Kaizer Chiefs                (2) 2 (Ngcobo 7’, Mashiane 19’)


Kaizer Chiefs recorded back-to-back league wins for the first time this season with a 2-1 away win in the DStv Premiership against Cape Town City. The game took place at Cape Town Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Amakhosi climbed up into the top eight with this victory.

Chiefs started the game brightly with two first half goals from Nkosingiphile Ngcobo in the 7th minute, as he scored his second league goal of the season. Happy Mashiane netted his first top flight goal for Chiefs in the 19th minute to put Chiefs in the driving seat. Despite Fagrie Lakay scoring late on for City, Chiefs held out for the win.

It took Chiefs just seven minutes to get ahead. Amakhosi built up from the back with the ball eventually reaching Happy Mashiane who cut across the left touchline and sent a ball towards goal searching for Nurković. Instead Mpho Makola cut the ball out, but sent it back towards Mashiane. He sent the ball back into the danger zone, where Dumsani Zuma chested the ball into the path of Ngcobo who with a piece of deft skill. He collected the ball ahead of Terrence Mashego before driving the ball with the outside of his right foot, spinning past Peter Leeuwenburgh, beating the keeper to his right to put Chiefs ahead.

Twelve minutes later, Chiefs managed to score a second goal. A Cape Town City attack broke down and Chiefs broke quickly with Kearyn Baccus who also played a part in the build up-to the first goal. He played a ground ball towards Nurković who got to the ball ahead of Ioannis Potouridis. He then pushed it through the legs of Keanu Cupido to pick out Mashiane who was free to his left. Mashiane strode towards goal by pushing the ball wide of Leeuwenburgh – he went around the City keeper before knocking the ball into the gaping goal. Chiefs went 2-0 up in the 19th minute.

Daniel Akpeyi was tested for the first time in the 26th minute. A neatly worked move by Cape Town City saw Makola on the left edge of the Chiefs 18-yard area thread the ball through to Mduduzi Mdantsane, who wasted no time in driving the ball towards goal from close range. Akpeyi had read the situation well and had closed down the angle for the attacker and blocked the ball with his outstretched left leg.

The Chiefs keeper was at his best deep into referee’s added time at the end of the first half. With his sight of the ball blocked, he did well to dive at full stretch to his left, pushing out a hand to stop a well-executed attempt on the half volley by Bradley Ralani. The Chiefs keeper unable to keep hold at the ball at the first time of asking managed to quickly grab it at the second attempt, as Chiefs went into the half time break 2-0 up.

The second half began in the same fashion that the first ended, with Akpeyi thwarting Cape Town City. Two minutes after the restart, a cross from Makola saw Mdantsane, who tried an over-head kick the ball, which was skewed and fell to Craig Martin. He sent the ball back to Mdantsane, whose attempt at goal was blocked before he laid of a short pass to Lakay who sent the ball thundering towards goal which had Akpeyi diving to his left to stop what seemed like a certain goal.

The hosts threw everything in attack as they went in search of a goal which would help them find a way back into the game.

In the 70th minute, a short corner on the left from Cape Town City saw Makola feed the ball to Mdantsane. He glided the ball into the Chiefs’ 18-yard area and past Amakhosi defence before curling the ball round Akpeyi, with the left hand upright coming to Chiefs rescue as the ball went crashing against the woodwork.

City’s pressure paid off in the 83rd minute when they set up a nervy finish. Makola’s chip towards goal was flicked by Lakay. Mdantsane back heeled the ball towards substitute Charles Zulu. He also flicked the ball with a delicate back heel into the path of Lakay who came rushing in to drive the ball past Akpeyi to make the score 2-1.

Martin drove the ball wide of goal inches away from an equaliser for Cape Town City in the 94th minute of the game. His shot from the right went across goal, shaving the outside of Akpeyi’s upright on its way out. Chiefs held onto record back-to-back league wins for the first time this season as the referee blew the final whistle.


Fact of the game:

Chiefs won their fourth successive away league game against Cape Town City. It is the first time since the 2004-05 season to 2009-10 when they won five successive away league games against Wits that they have they won four away league games in a row against any team.


Number of the game: 3 

Chiefs won their third successive league game home or away against Cape Town City, it was the 9th time the sides have clashed in league games it was Chiefs 6th win (1D 2L).


Most Valuable Player (MVP):

Daniel Akpeyi was the game winner for Chiefs with two crucial saves which kept Chiefs ahead in the tie. Kearyn Baccus was key in midfield early on for Chiefs playing a role in both goals. Ramahlwe Mphahlele put up a captain’s performance and was awarded the man of the match for his good performance, marshalling the defence well in difficult periods of the game.


Chiefs:  Akpeyi; Mphahlele ©, Ngezana, Zulu, Cardoso; Agay, Baccus (Matsheke 72’), Ngcobo (Blom 60’), Mashiane (Manyama 59’), Zuma (Parker 72’); Nurković (Castro 85’)

Subs not used: Bvuma; Moleko, Sasman; Lesako,

CT City: Leeuwenburgh, Mkhize © (Martin 46), Mashego, Cupido (Zulu 75’), Potouridis;  Mokeke, Nodada, Makola; Ralani, Lakay, Mdantsane

Subs not used: Anderson;  Kewuti, Gaxa, Goedeman, Georgiades

What’s next?

Chiefs are next in action against Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila on Tuesday at home in the DStv Premiership. Kick-off is at 17:00.