Chiefs in four goal thriller with Arrows

21 November 2020


Golden Arrows            (0) 2 (Conco 49’, Sibiya 70’)

Kaizer Chiefs                (0) 2 (Castro 58’, 65’)


Kaizer Chiefs played out an exciting and entertaining 2-2 draw against Golden Arrows at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium outside of Durban on Saturday afternoon in the DStv Premiership.  The game came lively in the second half and saw all four goals in the game come in the second stanza. Chiefs were hard done by early in the second half when Arrows were wrongly awarded a penalty after Willard Katsande was said to have brought down Zolani Nkombelo. Siboniso Conco converted the penalty in the 49th minute before a brace from Leonardo Castro. His first goals of the season put Chiefs ahead. Arrows found a 70th minute equaliser through second half substitute Nduduzo Sibiya in the 70th minute.

Arrows had the first chance in the 3rd minute when Michael Gumede drove the ball high over the goal after being set up by Conco. Following that, Chiefs took control of the game well and their midfield was being run by the lively Nkosingiphile Ngcobo who was creating space and making his mark on the game early on. In the 14th minute it was he who hoisted the ball towards his left and was able to find Philani Zulu lurking in the Arrows 18-yard area. He headed the ball upwards, trying to pick out Leonardo Castro, but Arrows’ keeper Sifiso Mlungwana came out and plucked the ball out of the air.

In the 16th minute Chiefs keeper Itumeleng Khune had to be alert as he tracked a viciously curling ball from a free kick on the right by Sifiso Mlungwana. Khune tracked the ball well and made a fine stop diving full stretch to punch away the ball. In the 24th minute Conco spurned a chance for Arrows driving the ball wide from the edge of the Chiefs 18-yard area.

Chiefs continued to dominate the game and were unfortunate not to have taken the lead in the 36th minute when Zulu sent a delightfully curling ball in towards goal where the ball went over Arrows skipper Matome Mathiane. Castro was able to powerfully head the ball and evaded the hands of the diving Mlungwana and hit the cross bar, as Castro was unfortunate not to give Chiefs the lead. As a few minutes earlier he had a goal chalked off for offside.

In the 43rd minute after Arrows tried to clear their lines from a Chiefs corner the ball fell to Ngcobo, who in turn sent the ball over the top to the right side of the Arrows 18-yards area where he picked out Ramahlwe Mphahlele. He managed to bring the ball under control with his chest before driving the ball powerfully goal wards, but Mlungwana came off his line to block the ball.

Mlungwana came out trumps again in first half stoppage time after Castro had been set through on goal. He set himself up before shooting for goal, but again the Arrows keeper was off his line to stop the Chiefs attacker as the first half ended 0-0.

Arrows took the lead soon after the restart from the penalty spot after Katsande was wrongfully adjudged to have fouled Nkombelo. As both players attacked the ball in the 18-yard area, Nkombelo went down after Katsande had got to the ball and poked it away. Referee Olani Kwinda saw it differently and pointed to the spot. Conco took the spot kick and sent Khune the wrong way, to put the hosts ahead 1-0 in the 49th minute.

Chiefs drew level in the 58th minute after Khama Billiat had a shot at goal deflected for a corner. The Zimbabwean then took the corner from the left curling the ball delightfully for Castro who rose above the Arrows defence to head to the ball with venom to his right. As he finally got to beat Mlungwana and opened his goalscoring tally for the season to bring Chiefs level. A goal well deserved for the Colombian marksman.

Shortly thereafter Itumeleng Khune made a save at point blank range denying Gumede.  He made a good save crouching down to his right to block the ball, as he made another good save to keep Chiefs in the game.

Chiefs turned the game on its head taking the lead in the 65th minute. As Arrows tried to break down a Chiefs attack, they were unable to effectively get rid of the ball, which fell to Manyama who rolled the ball past the Arrows defence into the path of Billiat. The Arrows defence stood waiting for and offside flag which did not come and Billiat played the ball to his right, where Castro literally walked it over the line with Mlungwana stranded. Chiefs went 2-1.

Arrows drew level in the 70th minute through Sibiya. A long ball from the halfway line found Knox Mutizwa who back heeled the ball into the path of fellow substitute Sibiya, who at the first time of asking curled the ball with precision and deadly accuracy past the diving Khune to restore parity at 2-2 with 20 minutes still to play.

The game ended 2-2 with Chiefs now looking ahead to their next league encounter at home against Swallows on Tuesday, Amakhosi are now undefeated in their last three league games and will be looking to build on that when they are at home on Tuesday evening.


Fact of the Match:

Khama Billiat made two assists in a league game for the second time. The first time since 15 September 2018 when Chiefs defeated Cape Town City 4-1 away from home.


Number of the match 39:

This was the 39th league meeting between the sides and the 11th time the sides played out a draw.


Most Valuable Player (MVP):

Khama Billiat returned from the international break looking sharp and lively and set up both Chiefs goals. He was at the heart of a Chiefs revival after they had gone down early in the first half and kept on running to the end. Leonardo Castro demonstrated his strength in the air and on the ground in this game as he troubled the Arrows defence before he was taken off late in the second half.


Chiefs: Khune; Mphahlele, Zulu, Cardoso, Ngezana; Katsande, Ngcobo (Matsheke 82’), Moleko (Agay 90’), Manyama (Blom 76’); Billiat, Castro (Parker 76’)

Subs not used: Akpeyi, Sasman, Baccus, Ntshangase, Sifama

Arrows:  Mlungwana; Sibisi, Mathiane, S. Dube, Nkombelo; Parusnath (Sabelo 70’), Ndwandwe, Shitolo; Conco (Sibiya 62’), Mmodi, Gumede (Mutizwa 62’)

Subs not used: Gumede; Zuke, N. Dube, Ndlovu, M.Dube, Khwela


What’s next?

Chiefs next league game will be against Swallows on Tuesday evening at Dobsonville Stadium in Soweto. Kick-off is at 19:30.