Chiefs Reserves win

Kaizer Chiefs Reserves beat SuperSport United Reserves 3-2 in the Multichoice Diski Challenge match played at Tsakane Stadium on Sunday. Chiefs dominated proceedings from the start of the match, once more masterminded by the captain Nkosingiphile Ngcobo in the midfield.

Marksman, Yusuf Bunting, took the early initiative but was denied a possible penalty in the 13th minute when he was impeded after breaking through. Ngcobo followed with a low shot signaling Chiefs’ attitude to go for goals.

Brilliant Khuzwayo, in goals was called to action when United’s player shot a pile driver that went over the bar. It was still stalemate after 20 minutes of play.

The play concentrated in the middle of the park midway through the first half. It was United who got close but ballooned their chance over the bar with Khuzwayo on high alert.

On back to back occasions, Happy Mashiane’s low drive caused United’s goalkeeper some headache and Sibongiseni Hlengwa followed with a powerful shot that came close to shave the crossbar.

Asanda Dyani broke the deadlock with a scorcher in the 35th minute delighting the supporters at Tsakane Stadium. Chiefs upped the ante with some neat passing causing United to chase shadows, Given Thibedi and Ngcobo being the main architects.

Bunting made it two at the stroke of half time. United responded immediately when they pulled one back through Kamohelo Mahlatsi tap-in beating Khuzwayo.

Half time score 2-1 to Chiefs.

Katlego Ntsabeleng missed a chance in the early stages of the second half with the goalie to beat, his shot hit the side netting.

In the 63rd minute, Coach Zwane made his first substitution bringing in Mduduzi Sithole for the dribbling wizard, Asanda Dyani.

In the 70th minute Khuzwayo pulled a brilliant save with United going for an equalizer. Zwane made a second substitution, Reamohetswe Lekoatsa replaced Bunting in the 74th minute.

Lekoatsa hit the ground running and was threatening but missed a golden opportunity when faced with an open net after beating the United goalkeeper.

Zwane made a final change, Njabulo Blom replaced Happy Mashiane in the 80th minute.

Against the run of play SuperSport were awarded a penalty after the referee judged Khuzwayo to have fouled Wayde Lekay. Tsakane Stadium went silent when United made it 2-2. Luke Le Roux scored from a rebound.

Ntsabeleng should have restored Chiefs lead but rushed his clear cut chance only to narrowly miss with a grass cutter.

Chiefs earned a penalty in injury time when Ntsabeleng was fouled in the box.

Man of the Match, Thibedi won it for Chiefs Reserves with a cool finish from the spot kick.

It ended 3-2.

Chiefs Reserves occupy 9th on the MDC log table, with 13 points after 10 matches played.

Starting line-up: Khuzwayo, Thibedi, Liang, De Mendoca, Moses, Hlengwa, Mashiane, Bunting, Ntsabeleng, Ngcobo, Dyani

Subs: Bvuma, Njabulo, Sithole, Mabena, Lekoatsa

Head Coach: Arthur Zwane